Saturday 31 May 2014

0

Meet Barbie Thomas - The Armless Body Builder ..So Inspiring!

  • Saturday 31 May 2014
  • Barbie Thomas, Armless body builder

    One day, as I was travelling with my friend, a male beggar with just one arm came up to beg for arms. I was going to donate some money to him when my friend held me back and turned to the young man asking, "Why are you begging?" the man replied, "because I have one arm."

    After series of questions and not a tangible answer from the beggar, my friend then told him to go home and think of what he could do with one arm to earn himself some little income no matter how meager as that would be better than begging for arms but the man insisted there's nothing he could possibly do to make an income.

    But that isn't the case here. The article you're about to read is that of an inspiring 37 years old American woman - Barbie Thomas, who lost her both arms to a terrible electrical accident as a toddler yet, never gave up on pursuing her dream of being a body builder.
    This exciting lady says she can do everything a complete human can do only that she uses her feet.

    She said,
    "I can do every other thing like brushing my teeth, making dinner, texting, shopping, taking milk out of the fridge, putting on makeup and even driving. I'd say to anyone, you can do whatever you put your mind to. The only limitations are the ones you put on yourself. Everyone has limitations and handicaps in some way or another - mine are more visible than yours maybe."

    "I used to read about all the fitness competitors in magazines - and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I wanted to be like them and do the things they were doing. I thought it was amazing."


    After years of doubting if she'd be able to physically meet up with the requirements in sporting activities, Barbie decided to take a bold step.

    "I finally called the locale chairperson and talked to him about it; and he gave me the green light.
    So in 2003 I entered my first fitness competition and loved it. Now it's in my blood and I can't live without it.


    Barbie lost her arms at the age of two when she climbed an electrical transformer and grabbed the wires. The electricity shock scorched from her arms down to the bones and turned them into something like charcoal.
    "The doctor said I wouldn't live - and if I did live, I'd probably be a vegetable, but God had a different plan for me; I'm still here, healthy, and alive and well."
    Texting friends with her toes

    Having aforementioned what this inspiring woman can do, it will again amaze you that this lady can swim, dance and play soccer.
    "My first few fitness competitions I did get some funny looks. I'm sure people were wondering what I thought I was doing up there. Obviously it's a physique competition and I'm missing part of my physique and I don't have the symmetry of what they are looking for.""But after I did my routine for the first time, people realised that I was an athlete just like the rest of them - and I did belong up there.""I don't know why they go as crazy as they do for me; maybe its something different."
     Applying make-ups

     Cooking
    So far, Barbie's greatest body building achievements came back in 2012 when she came fifth in a competition of six competitors.

    She added;
    "It was actually the first time I placed ahead of people - and that was a big milestone for me. Even though I still was fifth place, I was happy I placed ahead of someone - someone who actually has 2 arms and their whole body."
    Taking milk from the fridge

    "Yes there are the challenges and trials that come with bringing up kids. I don't think mine were any different - I just had to use my feet. But I got through it and my kids got through it."
    Sometimes I have to sit on the floor or sometimes I have to sit on the counter - but its still the same stuff you do. The mind is a really very powerful thing and so is attitude - and if you keep a really positive attitude and believe in yourself and believe that you can - then anything is possible."

    Now, at the beginning of this article, I made reference of this lady with one arm who opted to beg on the streets. This article is for everyone. Some people are physically able but disabled in the mind.

    After reading this, you should have drawn some inspiration. Believe in yourself that you can achieve whatever you want and you definitely will.

    Talk later!

    0 Responses to “ Meet Barbie Thomas - The Armless Body Builder ..So Inspiring! ”


    *Important - If you want to be informed of any replies to your comment, check the "Subscribe By Email" before submitting. Please Do Not Spam

    Post a Comment